Happy New Year! As we kick off 2024, it’s a great time to think about fresh starts and new goals. For those of us in the accounting industry, now’s the time to think of ways to grow our businesses and do even better than last year—from upgrading your accounting workflow software to going niche in your market share.
Whether you run an accounting firm, work as a CPA, or are a bookkeeper, the start of a new year is the perfect time to develop growth strategies. In this guide, we’ll share tips on how you can attract more clients and grow your firm exponentially. From trying out the latest accounting tools to building stronger relationships with the people in your community, we have a lot of ideas to share.
Let’s dive in and explore how you can expand your reach in 2024 and beyond.
1. Upgrade Your Accounting Workflow Software
Are you still working with pencil and paper or cobbling together a mix-match of software to run your accounting business? It’s a new year, and there’s no better time to give your business the upgrade it deserves.
Gone are the days when traditional methods were sufficient to keep up with the complex demands of accounting. In 2024, the landscape has evolved, and so should your tools. The right software can revolutionize the way you work and make your workflow faster, more accurate, and incredibly client-friendly.
Updating to an all-in-one accounting project management software like Mango will benefit your firm in many ways. Here are just a few reasons why you should make this move:
Streamlined Operations – Mango integrates various functions such as project management, time tracking, billing, and accounting into a single platform. This integration reduces the need to switch between different software for different tasks. It’s a time and sanity saver.
Improved Efficiency and Productivity – With built-in features like invoicing, due date management, and scheduling, Mango simplifies and speeds up routine tasks. This automation allows accountants to focus more on analysis and advisory roles, rather than spending time on repetitive administrative tasks.
Better Client Management – Mango’s client portals can provide clients with real-time access to their financial data, reports, and project status. Plus, with Mango, clients can securely submit documents without ever logging into the client portal. This provides a friction-free way to work with your clients.
Scalability – As the firm grows, its software needs to adapt. Mango is scalable and it can handle an increasing number of clients and projects without compromising performance.
Updating to Mango’s all-in-one solution can transform your accounting firm’s operations so that 2024 is your year to be more efficient and client-focused—the not-so-secret ingredients to attracting more clients.
2. Upsell to Existing Clients with Client Advisory Services (CAS)
When you finally hook a client to your services, don’t hesitate to upsell them on your client advisory services (CAS). Why? CAS shifts the perception of your firm from being solely a “compliance” function to a crucial partner in business and financial strategy. By offering CAS, you move beyond traditional accounting roles to become a trusted advisor who plays a key part in your client’s business growth and financial health.
Start by reviewing the services you currently offer and look for opportunities to introduce CAS as a complementary offering. For example, if you’re handling tax preparation for a client, expand your services to include strategic business planning, financial forecasting, and personalized financial management advice. These services go beyond the numbers to provide insightful, strategic guidance that can help your clients make more informed business decisions.
Effective upselling, especially with CAS, requires a deep understanding of your client’s needs and goals. Approach these offerings as consultative solutions rather than just additional services. Educate your clients on the benefits of CAS. Discuss how a more in-depth partnership can help them achieve their financial objectives and simplify complex business challenges.
Also, make sure that your team is fully trained about your client advisory services. They should be able to articulate the benefits clearly and effectively and truly sell this added service.
3. Develop a High-Quality Website
In 2024, your website will often serve as the first point of contact with potential clients. Your website is not just a digital brochure. It’s a platform to establish your firm’s credibility, expertise, and approachability.
A high-quality website should be clean, professional, and easy to navigate. Start with a compelling homepage that clearly states who you are, what you do, and how you can help your clients. Include a clear call to action, guiding visitors towards scheduling a consultation or learning more about your services.
Key components of your website should include:
- Your Services – Clearly outline your services, focusing on the benefits and value they provide to clients.
- Client Testimonials – Build trust by showcasing positive reviews and success stories from your clients
- Contact Information – Make it easy for potential clients to reach you with visible contact details or a contact form.
- Educational Content – Position yourself as an expert by including a blog or resource section where you share insights, tips, and updates in the accounting world.
Don’t forget about search engine optimization (SEO). Use relevant keywords throughout your website to improve your visibility in search engine results. Regularly update your content to keep it fresh and engaging.
Remember, your website is often the first impression a potential client will have of your firm, so invest the time and resources to make it outstanding.
4. Network and Build Partnerships
Networking is about more than just collecting business cards. It’s also about building relationships that can lead to new client referrals. Attend industry events, join local business groups, and actively participate in online forums. These connections may lead to partnerships with other professionals like lawyers, insurance agents, mortgage brokers, and business coaches, whose clients might need your services.
- Attend local and national accounting conferences.
- Join and actively participate in online professional groups on platforms like LinkedIn.
- Develop reciprocal referral agreements with complementary businesses.
5. Leverage Social Media
Social media is a powerful tool for reaching potential clients. Platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook can help you showcase your expertise and connect with your audience. Share industry news, helpful tips, and insights into your firm’s culture to engage followers.
- Regularly post helpful accounting tips and industry updates.
- Engage with your audience by responding to comments and messages.
- Use targeted ads to reach potential clients in specific industries or locations.
6. Start Email Marketing
Email marketing remains an effective way to communicate with both current and potential clients. Build an email list and send regular newsletters that provide value, such as tax tips, financial planning advice, or updates about changes in accounting laws.
- Offer a free ebook or webinar in exchange for email sign-ups.
- Personalize your emails to increase engagement.
- Track the performance of your emails to see what content is most effective.
7. Establish Client Referral Programs
Happy clients are your best advocates. Implement a referral program with incentives for clients who refer new business to you. This not only encourages current clients to promote your services but also brings in new business.
- Offer discounts or other incentives for each successful referral.
- Make sure your clients know about the referral program.
- Regularly remind clients of the program through emails or meetings.
8. Participate in Community Events
Getting involved in your local community can significantly boost your firm’s visibility and reputation. Participate in or sponsor local events, volunteer for charitable causes, and join local business associations. This not only demonstrates your commitment to the community but also puts your name in front of potential clients.
- Sponsor local sports teams or charity events.
- Offer free financial advice sessions at community centers.
- Join local business associations and actively participate in their events.
9. Ask for Reviews and Testimonials
Positive reviews and testimonials can significantly influence potential clients. Encourage satisfied clients to leave reviews on platforms like your Google Business Profile and LinkedIn. Feature these testimonials prominently on your website and in your marketing materials.
- After successful engagements, politely ask clients for reviews.
- Make it easy for clients to leave reviews by providing links and instructions on how to leave a review.
- Respond professionally to both positive and negative reviews.
10. Explore Niche Markets
Focusing on niche markets can be a highly effective strategy for growth. Specializing in specific industries or services allows you to tailor your expertise and marketing efforts to a particular audience. This will set you apart from competitors and attract clients who are seeking specialized accounting services.
- Identify potential niche markets that align with your firm’s strengths and expertise.
- Develop specialized service offerings and marketing strategies for these niches.
- Build and showcase expertise in these areas through targeted content, certifications, and case studies.
This new year is brimming with opportunities for attracting new business. By using new tools and building good relationships, you can successfully grow your practice this year. Here’s to attracting more clients and achieving new goals in your accounting work.
Are you looking for ways to streamline your accounting firm’s operations, enhance…
Are you ready to transform your bookkeeping services from standard to stellar?…
If client onboarding is a journey, you’re the dependable guide. It’s your…
In the accounting industry, time management is essential. Every minute counts. This…
As we approach the 2024 tax season, it’s the perfect time to…